This was a fabulous Friday night dinner.
Light, tasty, cheap and healthy.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 white onion chopped
2 cloves garlic (because I love garlic)
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 cup spelt grain
1 small glass red wine
1 tin chopped tomato
3 teaspoons Marigold powder bouillon
4 cups water
1 packet raw prawns
1 bunch chopped parsley
1 lemon sliced in wedges
1. Heat the oil in a medium sized heavy based pot
2. Turn the heat down slightly, add the onion and sauté for two minutes
3. Add garlic and smoked paprika and cook for one minute
4. Add the spelt and stir for three minutes
5. In the meantime, open your tin of tomatoes into another sauce pan; add the stock powder and water. Allow to heat through and this will be your stock to add to your rice. (Allow to lightly simmer all the time)
6. Add the wine to the grains and stir all the time allowing all the liquid to be absorbed. (The rest not to go to waste of course)
7. Ladle by ladle, add the hot tomato stock, stirring the spelt gently in between adding the hot stock. (allow the liquid to be absorbed before adding the next ladle)
8. Continue adding the stock and stirring until the grains are soft and easy to bite. (about 20 minutes)
9. Now add the prawns and allow cooking for about three minutes (they cook very quickly and you don’t want to overcook them)
At this stage I like to add a few tablespoons flax oil for added goodness
10. Season with salt and pepper to taste
11. Turn off the heat, add some chopped parsley
12. Serve in warm bowls and garnish with a little more chopped parsley and a slice of lemon which should be squeezed over the rice.
This meal is great the next day, and I bet you will have a few nosy bodies wanting to know what looks so darn interesting in your lunch box. Share…if you must!
Not only was this meal tasty, but it is high in fibre which makes you feel full for longer, rich in B vitamins and the prawns adds protein and with the added flax seed oil, this dish ticks all the boxes as far as being nutritionally balanced without the boredom which surrounds healthy food.