I think one of the big reasons why so many people avoid cooking brown rice or lentils is because they don’t always like the flavour and think that it is dull and tasteless. It doesn’t need to be you know.
Here are a few tips on how to jazz up your lentils or brown rice:
- Sauté some onion, garlic and chopped carrot before adding the lentils or rice
- Add a teaspoon bouillon powder to the cooking water
- Add fresh herbs and spices at the end of cooking
- Toast some cumin and coriander in a hot pan, then grind in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle. Sauté your onion and garlic and then add these spices before adding the rice or legumes.
- Use cooked rice or lentils as leftovers and add 1/2 chopped avocado, feta cheese and a chopped tomato as well as fresh herbs for a lovely light lunch time salad and eat cold.
Whole grains, legumes and pulses are rich in fibre and will help to keep your blood sugar balanced as well as keep you full for longer and most importantly they keep you regular.Fibre acts like a brush in your colon and ‘sweeps’ it clean, feeding the good bacteria along the way. (all technical terms) They are packed with B vitamins which is essential for energy and great for those who knows stress as a household name. Ensure they are well cooked and soaking before cooking also helps to ensure optimal digestion and prevents bloating. Start this evening by replacing your white rice for some wholegrain variety. Your tummy will love you for it!